Please refer to the model number on the back of the device to identify the correct model.ModelModel Number(s)iPhone 4A1332, A1349iPhone 4sA1387, A1431iPhone 5A1428, A1429, A1442iPhone 5cA1532, A1507, A1529, A1456, A1516, A1526iPhone 5sA1533, A1457, A1453, A1518, A1528, A15302Select your device modelIdentify your device using the model number on the back.Please refer to the model number on the back of the device to identify the correct model.ModelModel Number(s)iPhone 4A1332, A1349iPhone 4sA1387, A1431iPhone 5A1428, A1429, A1442iPhone 5cA1532, A1507, A1529, A1456, A1516, A1526iPhone 5sA1533, A1457, A1453, A1518, A1528, A15304Select Color
- Space Grey
Question:How does the program work?Answer:The Samsung Trade Up Online program, provided by Brightstar provides consumers with the opportunity to receive monetary value for their current Android or iOS device.Question:Who can take part in the program?Answer:Any person who is at least 18 years of age and resides within the AU.Question:Do you accept broken mobile phones?Answer:Yes. We pay a reduced amount for phones that are not working. Once inspected we will offer you a revised quote based on the condition of your phone.Question:Can I trade-in any phone?Answer:No, Samsung Trade Up Online program applies only to eligible Android, iPhone and iPad devices.Question:Can I trade-in more than one device at a time?Answer:Each transaction is limited to one device at a time. However, you can complete multiple transactions if you choose. Each transaction will have a unique Quote ID number.Question:Can I trade-in any device?Answer:Yes, you can trade in any device you want as long as it is on our database. If your used mobile phone is not listed, the chances are we no longer buy that model. If you think your device should be listed, please get in touch at SamsungTradeUp.AU@Brightstar.com.Question:How is the value determined for my device?Answer:The value is determined by the model type and device condition. You will not be able to trade in your device if any devices locks or tracking features are activated.Question:Will I always receive the quoted value?Answer:Not always. Upon receipt of your device, if we find that your self-assessment was different from that of our trained operatives, we will adjust the price accordingly. You will receive a notification of this adjustment along with details about why the value is different. You will not be able to trade in your device if any devices locks or tracking features are activated.Question:Do I have to send my SIM card along with my device?Answer:No, you must remove your SIM card, as these are non-returnable. If a SIM card is still in your device, it will be destroyed immediately upon receipt to protect any personal data.Question:Do I have to provide any proof of purchase?Answer:No, but our terms and conditions require you to acknowledge that you are the owner on record of the device and entitled to trade it.Question:Why do I have to provide my identification?Answer:We are required under Australian law to obtain proof of identify from every person attempting to sell goods to us. The proof of identity requirement is solely used for helping Police track down goods reported as lost or stolen.Question:What forms of ID can I upload?Answer:We are required by law to obtain ID showing your full name, current address, photo, date of birth and your signature. For security purposes, we ask that you upload two forms of ID that together meet these requirements. If you have met the legal requirements and are struggling with a second form of ID, get in touch at SamsungTradeUp.AU@Brightstar.com and we’ll do our best to help.Question:Is there a cost for sending my device to you? Is there a cost for sending it back to me?Answer:Brightstar pays for the shipping from your address to our Brightstar Facility. If the device is returned to you, there is also no cost to you for the shipment.Question:How do I send my device to you?Answer:You will have a complimentary Return kit shipped to you for you to package and return your device for free.Question:Do I have to send in my device accessories? (charger, cables, etc.)Answer:No. All we need from you is your device. You do not need to send in the accessories, charger, manual or packaging.Question:How long do I have to send my device to you?Answer:The quoted value is valid for 14 days and we encourage you to send the device to us within this timeframe to get the maximum value possible. If you require additional time, you have the option to extend the quote for an additional 7 days through Self-Service site. If you need assistance, you may also contact our Customer Support Centre at 02 8784 2558 email us at SamsungTradeUp.AU@Brightstar.com.Question:What if I send my device after the quote expires?Answer:If your device is received at the Brightstar facility after your quote has expired, you will receive a revised quote for the device based on the current trade-in price and condition of your device.Question:What happens if the final value is different from the original quoted one?Answer:You will receive a communication advising you of the inspected value and you will have 14 days to accept or reject our revised offer.
IMPORTANT: If we do not hear from you within 14 days of the notification email delivery date, we will automatically process your device and you will receive a gift card for the revised value amount. In the event you reject the revised offer, we will ship your device back to you to the address on file at no cost to you.Question:What happens if I send in a device different from the one for which I received a quote?Answer:As long as it is an eligible device, you will receive an e-mail offer for the trade in value at the time the device is received and processed in our facility. You will have 14 days to accept or decline the offer.
These Terms will apply to any contract between Brightstar Logistics Pty Limited, a company registered in Australia under ABN 58 111 399 752 and with registered office at Level 5, 607 Bourke Street, Melbourne, Victoria, 3000, Australia (referred to herein as “us”, “our” and “we”) and you for the trade in of Products by you (the “Contract”). Please read these Terms carefully and make sure that you understand them, before trading-in any Products via our Site. Please note that before trading-in a Product by placing an order on our Site you will be asked to agree to these Terms. If you refuse to accept these Terms, you will not be able to trade-in any Products via our Site.
You should print a copy of these Terms or save them to your computer for future reference.
We amend these Terms from time to time as set out in clause 5. Every time you wish to trade-in Products, please check these Terms to ensure you understand the terms which will apply at that time.
These Terms were most recently updated on [27/12/2017]
These Terms, and any Contract between us, are only in the English language.
- Information about us
- We operate the Site.
- Whilst the trade-in process includes the trade-in of Samsung Products, the trade-in, Samsung Trade Up Online is provided by us as an independent third party. Samsung Group and its affiliates and subsidiaries (collectively “Samsung”) are not party to the Contract between you and us and you shall have no right of action against Samsung for any breach of a Contract.
- Samsung hereby disclaims and excludes any and all warranties of any kind, express or implied. By using the Site, you hereby release Samsung and its respective directors, employees and agents from any disputes, claims, demands, and/or damages (actual or consequential) of every kind, whether known or unknown, arising out of, or relating to, your use of the Site and our services, including, without limitation, incomplete or completed transactions and any claims or disputes between you and Brightstar.
- Our Site
- We may update our Site from time to time, and may change the content at any time. However, please note that any of the content on our Site may be out of date at any given time, and we are under no obligation to update it. We do not guarantee that our Site, or any content on it, will be free from errors or omissions and we make no representations, warranties or guarantees, whether express or implied, that the content on our Site is accurate, complete or up-to-date.
- Our Site is made available free of charge. We do not guarantee that our Site, or any content on it, will always be available or be uninterrupted. Access to our Site is permitted on a temporary basis. We may suspend, withdraw, discontinue or change all or any part of our Site without notice. We will not be liable to you if for any reason our Site is unavailable at any time or for any period.
- You are responsible for making all arrangements necessary for you to have access to our Site.
- If you choose, or you are provided with, a user identification code, password or any other piece of information as part of our security procedures, you must treat such information as confidential. You must not disclose it to any third party. We will not be responsible or liable in any way in the event you suffer any loss or damage following any unauthorized use or misuse of your password.
- We have the right to disable any user identification code or password, whether chosen by you or allocated by us, at any time, if in our reasonable opinion you have failed to comply with any of the provisions of these Terms.
- The content on our Site is provided for general information only. It is not intended to amount to advice on which you should rely. You must obtain professional or specialist advice before taking, or refraining from, any action on the basis of the content on our Site.
- We do not guarantee that our Site will be secure or free from bugs or viruses. You are responsible for configuring your information technology, computer programs and platform in order to access our Site. You should use your own virus protection software.
- When using our Site, you agree that you will use our Site only for lawful purposes.
- Specifically, you may not use our Site:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which is defamatory, obscene, offensive, threatening, abusive, vulgar, hateful or inflammatory, discriminatory or which infringes the intellectual property rights of any third party;
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorized advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); and/or
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
- You also agree not to:
- reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of our Site in contravention of the provisions of these Terms;
- use systematic, repetitive or any other methods which are designed to obtain a large number of quotes or other pricing and related information from our Site; and/or
- attack (through denial of service, distributed denial of service or otherwise) or access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt:
- any part of our Site;
- any equipment or network on which our Site is stored;
- any software used in the provision of our Site; or
- any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
- A breach of section 2.10(c) may result in you committing a criminal offence. We will report any such breach to the relevant law enforcement authorities and we will co-operate with those authorities by disclosing your identity to them.
- Where our Site contains links to other sites and resources provided by third parties, these links are provided for your information only. We have no control over the contents of those sites or resources, and accept no responsibility for them or for any loss or damage that may arise from your use of them. The inclusion of a link to a third party website does not constitute an endorsement by us of or any affiliation between us and that third party or the products or services that they offer. You acknowledge and agree that we are not responsible or liable (including for any loss or damage you suffer or incur as a consequence of your reliance on or purchase of) the content, advertising, products, services, or other materials on or available from such sites.
- How we use your personal information
- It is your responsibility to:
- Remove your sim card (the “SIM”) before sending your Product to us. The SIM can contain private information, and may enable unauthorized use of your network access. If you fail to remove the SIM, you agree to release us from all claims, losses or damages with respect to the use of the SIM arising before, or after receipt by us of your Product. Any SIMs received by us are non-returnable;
- Remove any personal file and data, whether in the form of personal details, SMS, photos, games, songs or other data, (the “Data”) from the Product; and
- Switch off the activation lock or equivalent feature on your Product.
- By sending your Product to us, you agree to release us from all claims, losses or damages with respect to the SIM, Data or Product. We accept no responsibility in relation to the security, protection, confidentiality or use of such Data or the SIM.
- It will not be possible for you to obtain any Data or other content from the Product, whether stored on the Product or memory card, once it has been sent in to us.
- You agree that you have the sole responsibility to keep a separate backup copy of any Data before sending your Product to us; and that you have taken all reasonable steps to eliminate and delete Data that is deemed personal or confidential. Data recovery is not a part of the trade-in, Samsung Trade Up Online and we and Samsung accept no responsibility or liability for any lost Data.
- Consumer representations and warranties
- By placing an order through the our Site, you warrant that:
- you are accessing our Site from Australia;
- you are legally capable of entering into a binding contract;
- you are not a business or acting in the course of a business; and
- you release us of any liabilities or claims that may arise if you send the Product to us in breach of this warranty.
- Your statutory rights as a consumer are not affected by this contract.
- Our right to vary these Terms
- We amend these Terms from time to time. Please look at the top of this page to see when these Terms were last updated.
- Every time you trade-in Products via this Site, the Terms in force at the time of your trade-in will apply to the Contract between you and us.
- We may revise these Terms as they apply to your order from time to time to reflect the following circumstances:
- changes in relevant laws and regulatory requirements; and/or
- a change in our business practice.
- If we have to revise these Terms as they apply to your order, we will contact you to give you reasonable advance notice of the changes and let you know how to cancel the Contract if you are not happy with the changes. You may cancel in respect of all of the affected Products. If you opt to cancel, you will have to return any monies (or other consideration) you have already received.
- Valuing your Product
- You warrant that you will accurately describe the condition of your Products so that we are able to provide an initial quotation before we are in receipt of, and able to, inspect the Product (the “Original Quotation”). The Original Quotation will be valid for a period of 14 days from the date it is issued to you (“Initial Period”). You may extend the validity of the Original Quotation within the Initial Period by a further period of 7 days from the end of the Initial Period (“Quote Validity Period”).
- We accept accessories such as chargers and headsets but these do not increase the value of your Product.
- Upon receipt of your Product, we will carry out an Inspection (as defined in clause 8.1). Any incorrect or inaccurate Product descriptions may result in us re-evaluating our Original Quotation to produce a Revised Quotation (as defined in clause 8.4).
- Subject to clause 6.3, you must ensure that we are in receipt of the Products within the Initial Period or Quote Validity Period as appropriate. If we are not in receipt of a Product with the Initial Period or Quote Validity Period as appropriate, we reserve the right to provide you with a Revised Quotation (as defined in clause 8.4), subject to the clause 7 and 8 below.
- Lost, Blocked, Stolen and Fake Products and Pre-Pay Box Breaking
- For the purposes of these Terms “Fake” Products are counterfeit Products which are manufactured to resemble products made by another company in breach of the intellectual property rights of the genuine manufacturer.
- In the case we are notified or suspect that the Product is either lost or stolen, we may request further proof of ownership of the Product. Additional proof of ownership may include, but is not limited to, receipts, tax invoices or carrier receipts. In the event that there is insufficient proof of ownership, the Product may be returned to you, or to the relevant authorities.
- We work with a number of agencies and service providers to enable us to check the IMEI of all Products that are sent to us to confirm that they are not stolen. We may do this prior to confirming purchase. However, in the event that we become aware of any issues at any time, we reserve the right to withhold/cancel payment and you agree to co-operate with us and any authorities should we make such a request.
- We will make no payments to customers for Products received which are either lost, stolen or Fake.
- We reserve the right to inform the relevant authorities if there is any suspicion that there is a deliberate attempt to perpetrate a fraud. We reserve the right to reclaim any money paid to you if it is discovered within three months of the return of that Product that the Product has either been reported as a lost, stolen or the Product is discovered to be a Fake.
- Inspection and Revised Quotation
- Once your Products have been received by us, we will inspect the Product to check to see if it complies with the description that you provided to us originally (the “Inspection”).
- The Inspection will focus on, amongst other things, the model and condition of the Product. If the model and/or condition are different to your original description, the Original Quotation will be adjusted in accordance with clause 8.4 below. Should our Inspection reveal that you have sent us a different model than the one that we provided an Original Quotation for, we will offer an amount for the different model based on the price displayed on the Site on the day that we are in receipt of the different model (subject to the condition of the Product).
- We will have sole discretion in determining the appropriate condition and price of the Product.
- We will contact you via email or text to confirm the amount we will offer for such Product as adjusted, if necessary, by these Terms (the “Revised Quotation”). You will have 7 working days from the date that we have sent the email or text in which to accept the Revised Quotation provided that we cannot be held responsible for the non-delivery of emails because of spam email or junk filters. If you:
- choose to decline the Revised Quotation within the 7 working day period, you may ask us to return the Products to you. Please allow for up to 10 working days to receive your returned Products. If for any reason we cannot send you back your original Product then we will be obliged to make payment for the Original Quotation (except to the extend such failure to send back the original Product to you has resulted from any act or omission of you); or
- do not reply within 7 working days of us sending the email or text, we will pay you the Revised Quotation.
- Under no circumstances can Products be returned by us to you after the expiry of the 7 working day period detailed in clause 8.4.
- Additional accessories that have been sent in with your Product which have not been requested by us cannot be returned to you.
- How the Contract is formed between you and us
- Nothing on this Site constitutes an offer by us to sell or purchase any goods or services.
- Sending Products to us shall constitute an offer by you to sell such Products to us in return for the Original Quotation (“Your Offer”). However, please note that this does not mean that Your Offer has been accepted. Our acceptance of your Offer will take place as described in clause 9.3.
- No Contract will be formed until either:
- we accept Your Offer, by paying to you a sum equal to the Original Quotation; or
- you have accepted our Revised Quotation and we make a payment to you of a sum equal to the Revised Quotation, within the time frame set out in clause 1.
- Second Hand Dealer Licence
- We are a registered Second-Hand Dealer (Registration No. 2PS12534). As part of our licence to operate with New South Wales Department of Fair Trading, we are required by law to obtain proof of identity from every person attempting to sell goods to us. The required copies of proof of identity are detailed in the sales process and also defined below in clause 10.2. In addition to the proof of identity requirement, we are required to submit the international mobile equipment identity number (“IMEI”) of every Product we purchase to a police data system that checks for reported lost or stolen property. The proof of identity requirement is part of our licence requirement and is solely used for the purpose of helping police track down criminals.
- You must provide two proof of identity items that together show each of your full name, photograph, current address, date of birth and your signature. Such two items may contain the following forms:
- a passport;
- a drivers licence or learner drivers permit;
- full birth certificate/extract of birth;
- certificates of Australian citizenship;
- health care card;
- medicare card;
- bank statement/mortgage documents;
- utility bill; or
- tax file number document.
- The provision of the proof of identity is material condition of our Contract with you. If you do not provide the necessary proof of identity documents within 7 days of the date we send you confirmation email of successful placement of your trade-in order, we reserve the right to withhold payment for your Product and/or contact the police about the relevant transaction.
- Pricing and Payments
- We initiate payments to you through bank transfer within 3 working days after receipt and Inspection.
- Prices offered on our Site are subject to change at any time without notice.
- Title and Risk in Products
- Title in the Product(s) shall pass to us on completion of the payment to you for such Product(s) at which point you disclaim any further right, title or interest in and to the Product or any items contained therein.
- You must own all rights in any Product(s) that you send to us. By placing your trade-in order you declare that you are the true and rightful owner of, and have good title to, the enclosed Product(s) and as such, you confirm that you are legally authorized to sell or dispose of the Product(s) at your own discretion.
- Subject to clause 12.4, risk in the Product(s) shall pass to us once the Product is in transit from you to us via the mail/courier service that you use to send the Product to us.
- Whilst the Products are in transit from you to us the following shall apply:
- for each Product that you send to us you shall ensure that: (i) it is packaged so that it is physically protected; and (ii) you obtain and provide to us on request a tracking number for the package;
- subject to clause 12.4(c), our total liability to you in respect of all losses arising in connection with the loss or damage to a Product or Products whilst in transit, shall in no circumstances exceed the value of the Original Quotation; and
- we shall not be liable to you for any loss arising in connection with the loss or damage to a Product or Products whilst in transit should you fail to comply with the provisions of clause 12.4(a).
- Our liability
- If we fail to comply with these Terms, we are responsible for loss or damage you suffer that is a foreseeable result of our breach of these Terms or our negligence, but we are not responsible for any loss or damage that is not foreseeable. Loss or damage is foreseeable if it is an obvious consequence of our breach or if it was contemplated by you and us at the time we entered into this Contract.
- We do not in any way exclude or limit our liability for:
- death or personal injury caused by our negligence;
- fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation; or
- any other liability which cannot be excluded by law.
- Subject to clause 13.1, we have no liability to you for any loss of profit, loss of business, business interruption, or loss of business opportunity.
- The trade-in, Samsung Trade Up Online is provided for lawful purposes only, and you agree to indemnify us from and against any claims brought against any of them arising from performing its obligations under a Contract on your behalf or for any breach of these Terms by you.
- Events outside our control
- We will not be liable or responsible for any failure to perform, or delay in performance of, any of our obligations under a Contract that is caused by an Event Outside Our Control (as such phrase is defined in clause 15.2).
- An “Event Outside Our Control” means any act or event beyond our reasonable control, including without limitation strikes, lock-outs or other industrial action by third parties, civil commotion, riot, invasion, terrorist attack or threat of terrorist attack, war (whether declared or not) or threat or preparation for war, fire, explosion, storm, flood, earthquake, subsidence, epidemic or other natural disaster, or failure of public or private telecommunications networks [or impossibility of the use of railways, shipping, aircraft, motor transport or other means of public or private transport.
- If an Event Outside Our Control takes place that affects the performance of our obligations under a Contract:
- we will contact you as soon as reasonably possible to notify you; and
- our obligations under a Contract will be suspended and the time for performance of our obligations will be extended for the duration of the Event Outside Our Control.
- You may cancel a Contract affected by an Event Outside Our Control which has continued for more than 30 days. To cancel please contact us. If you opt to cancel, you will have to return any monies you have already received and we will return any Products relating to such monies.
- Communications between us
- When we refer, in these Terms, to "in writing", this will include e-mail.
- You may contact us by telephoning our customer service team at 02 8784 2558 or by e-mailing us at SamsungTradeUp.AU@Brightstar.com. If we have to contact you or give you notice in writing, we will do so by e-mail or by pre-paid post to the address you provide to us in your order.
- The provisions of this clause 16 shall not apply to the service of any proceedings or other documents in any legal action.
- Intellectual property rights
- We are the owner or the licensee of all intellectual property rights in our Site, and in the material published on it. Those works are protected by copyright laws and treaties around the world. All such rights are reserved.
- You may print off one copy, and may download extracts, of any page(s) from our Site for your personal use and you may draw the attention of others within your organisation to content posted on our Site.
- You must not modify the paper or digital copies of any materials you have printed off or downloaded in any way, and you must not use any illustrations, photographs, video or audio sequences or any graphics separately from any accompanying text.
- Our status (and that of any identified contributors) as the authors of content on our Site must always be acknowledged.
- You must not use any part of the content on our Site for commercial purposes without obtaining a licence to do so from us or our licensors.
- If you print off, copy or download any part of our Site in breach of these Terms, your right to use our Site will cease immediately and you must, at our option, return or destroy any copies of the materials you have made.
- Other important terms
- We may transfer our rights and obligations under a Contract to another organisation, but this will not affect your rights or our obligations under these Terms.
- You may only transfer your rights or your obligations under these Terms to another person if we agree in writing.
- This Contract is between you and us. No other person shall have any rights to enforce any of its terms.
- Each of the clauses of these Terms operates separately. If any court or relevant authority decides that any of them are unlawful or unenforceable, the remaining paragraphs will remain in full force and effect.
- If we fail to insist that you perform any of your obligations under these Terms, or if we do not enforce our rights against you, or if we delay in doing so, that will not mean that we have waived our rights against you and will not mean that you do not have to comply with those obligations. If we do waive a default by you, we will only do so in writing, and that will not mean that we will automatically waive any later default by you.
- These Terms are governed by the laws of New South Wales, Australia. This means a Contract for the trade-in of Products through our Site and any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with it will be governed by the laws of New South Wales, Australia; and
- We and you both irrevocably agree that the courts of New South Wales, Australia and courts of appeal from them shall have exclusive jurisdiction to settle any dispute or claim arising out of or in connection with a Contract or its subject matter or formation (including non-contractual disputes or claims).
Brightstar may collect the following types of information: the customer's name, email address, mail address, user name and password and any faxes or mail sent to us and the IMEI numbers of any mobile device used in any transaction with Brightstar, and other information that clients may provide in their course of communication with Brightstar.
Information can sometimes include identification information to comply with relevant second hand trading legislation and your rights or title to sell goods to Brightstar in addition to financial information pertaining to the financial processing of a transaction.
We may also use 'cookies' which will collect information about you such as your IP address and how you have used our website - this is discussed further below (see 2.7 below).
This policy has been drafted having regard to Brightstar's obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (including the National Privacy Principles) as that Act or those principles may be updated from time to time (the Privacy Act).Contacting Brightstar
Address: 5/607 Bourke Street, Melbourne, VIC
Attention: Brightstar Privacy Officer
Note that terms that are capitalised (the first letter of each word is a capital) are defined in the Glossary at the end of this Policy.
- Brightstar collects Personal Information primarily to supply customers with the services it or its related companies have contracted to supply to that customer and/or to purchase goods from its customers. But Brightstar also collects and uses Personal Information for secondary purposes including:
- business planning and development; and
- to provide individuals with information about Brightstar's other services, as well as the services of other related companies.
- Brightstar will take reasonable steps to notify you of the matters listed below at the point in time where we are collecting any Personal Information from you:
- the main reason that we are collecting Personal Information (this reason will be the Primary Purpose);
- our identity and how individuals can contact us, if this is not obvious.
- that individuals can access the Personal Information that Brightstar holds about them;
- where applicable, any law that requires the Personal Information to be collected ; and
- the consequences (if any) for the individual if all or part of the Personal Information is not provided to Brightstar.
- 1.4 Brightstar will not collect Sensitive Information from individuals except with consent and only where it is necessary for Brightstar to collect such information for an activity or function.
- Brightstar Uses Personal Information primarily to supply customers with the services it or its related companies have contracted to supply to that customer and/or to purchase goods from its customers as noted in 1.2 above.
- Regardless, Brightstar will only use or disclose Personal Information about you:
- for any other purpose communicated to you at or near the time your Personal Information is collected;
- as permitted or required by law (this includes Use to avoid an imminent threat to a person's life or to public safety. It may also use Personal Information for reasons related to law enforcement or internal investigations into unlawful activities);
- if we believe it necessary to provide you with a service you have requested;
- to implement our service;
- to protect the rights, property or personal safety of another Brightstar client, any member of the public or Brightstar;
- if some or all of the assets and operations of our business are or may be transferred to another party by way of sale of some or all of the business; or
- if you have provided your consent to such use or disclosure.
- If Brightstar relies on the Direct Marketing (see glossary) exception to Direct Market to individuals it will ensure that:
- individuals are clearly notified of their right to Opt Out (see glossary) from further Direct Marketing. We will facilitate your Opting Out by giving you the option in each Direct Marketing communication to "UNSUBSCRIBE" or "OPT OUT" by checking the appropriate box or sending us an email or SMS asking to be removed from our Direct Marketing list;
- there is only one Use of the information before the Opt Out right is given and this Use applies across all Brightstar' Related Bodies Corporate (if the information is shared between those Related Bodies Corporate);
- the individual is given an Opt Out in all further instances of Direct Marketing if they have not previously chosen to Opt Out; and
- if the individual Opts Out of all Direct Marketing the Opt Out will be respected by Brightstar and all its Related Bodies Corporate and we will not longer use your Personal Information for Direct Marketing.
- Brightstar will not, if collected, use Sensitive Information for Direct Marketing.
- Brightstar will not use Personal Information without taking reasonable steps to ensure that the information is accurate, complete and up to date.
When you come to a Brightstar website, our server attaches a small text file to your hard drive — a cookie. A “cookie” assigns you a unique identifier so that we can recognise you each time you re-enter the website, so we can recall where you’ve previously been on our site, and which keeps track of the pages you view on the website. Cookies help us deliver a better website experience to our users.
This information collected by using a cookie is sometimes called “clickstream.” We use this information to understand how our users navigate our websites, and to determine common traffic patterns, including what site the user came from. We may use this information to make site navigation and product recommendations, and to help redesign our Site in order to make your experience on our Site more efficient and enjoyable
We may also use this information to better personalize the content, banner ads, and promotions that you and other users will see.
You also have choices with respect to cookies. By modifying your browser preferences, you have the choice to accept all cookies, to be notified when a cookie is set, or to reject all cookies. If you choose to reject all cookies you will be unable to use those services or engage in activities that require the placement of cookies. Certain aspects of the Site may not function properly if you set your browser to reject all cookies.
- Brightstar may Disclose Personal Information to related or unrelated third parties if consent has been obtained from you to do so.
- Brightstar may Disclose Personal Information between Related Bodies Corporate. Where information is Disclosed to such a Related Body Corporate, that Related Body Corporate is bound by the original Primary Purpose for which the information was collected.
- We also use service providers to help us maximise the quality and efficiency of our services and our business operations. This means individuals and organisations outside of Brightstar, such as mail houses, information technology service providers, website hosts and back-up service providers, will sometimes have access to Personal Information held by Brightstar and may use it on behalf of Brightstar. We ensure that our contracts with our service providers require them to adhere to strict privacy guidelines and to only Use your Personal Information for purposes we have authorised to comply with the Use and Disclosure requirements of the Privacy Act.
- Brightstar may also disclose your Personal information outside of Australia to our Related Body Corporates and to service providers noted in 3.3 above. Currently, the countries to which we transfer information include Singapore, Malaysia, Hong Kong and the United States.
- Brightstar may Disclose Personal Information to law enforcement agencies, government agencies, courts or external advisers where permitted or required by law.
- Brightstar may Disclose Personal Information to avoid an imminent threat to a person's life or to public safety.
- Except for Disclosure for a Primary Purpose or for a related Secondary Purpose or where your consent has been obtained to such Disclosure, Brightstar will not Disclose your Personal Information otherwise than in accordance with the exceptions set out at 3.1 to 3.7 above.
- Data security
- Brightstar will review, on an ongoing basis, its collection and storage practices to ascertain how improvements to security and protection of Personal Information can be achieved.
- Your Personal Information is protected when it comes into our possession regardless of whether it is in electronic or hard copy format, in accordance with the Privacy Act and industry accepted security standards which are implemented and updated in accordance with the manufacturer's or licensor's recommendations. This includes physical security at our premises and storage electronically on a server which is situated in protected and controlled facilities. Certain information you provide such as financial information, bank account or credit card information, is encrypted via SSL and remains securely encrypted while in Brightstar’s possession, until the moment when it is used to make payment and is then re-encrypted and held securely until it is no longer required for internal or regulatory purposes when it will be destroyed.
- Brightstar will, to the extent technically practicable, destroy or de-identify Personal Information once it is no longer required by us for Use, within as short a time as is reasonably possible (taking into account any specific requirements of its clients), unless the law requires otherwise.
- Complaints or questions
- Individuals wishing to make an inquiry or complaint regarding privacy should do so by contacting the Brightstar Privacy Officer, whose contact details appear at the beginning of this document. If you make a complaint or if we become aware of any concern or problems concerning our privacy practices, we will contact you about the issue, investigate the issue, and take all reasonable steps to work with you to resolve that issue.
- Access and correction
- A fee may be charged for providing access however we will advise you of the likely cost in advance and will aim to supply the information within 14 days.
- If your Personal Information is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, you may contact us by e-mail and we will correct our records containing your Personal Information as soon as practicable unless there is a reason why we cannot amend it . If you would like your Personal Information deleted, please let us know by using the Brightstar Privacy Officer's e-mail address and we will take all reasonable steps to delete unless we need it for legal, auditing or internal record keeping.
- Client Information
- Brightstar may from time to time have access to Personal Information belonging to customers of one of its clients.
- Transferring information overseas
- Brightstar will take reasonable steps to limit the amount of Personal Information it sends to unrelated parties overseas but may need to disclose your Personal information outside of Australia to our Related Body Corporates and to service providers as noted in 3.3 above. Currently, the countries to which we transfer information include Singapore, Hong Kong, Malaysia and the United States.
Brightstar means Brightstar Logistics Pty Limited ACN 111 399 752.
Direct Marketing means the marketing of products or services through means of communication including written, verbal, physical or electronic means. The services which are marketed may be those of Brightstar or a Related Body Corporate or those of an independent third party organisation.
Disclosure generally means the release of information outside Brightstar, including under a contract to carry out an "outsourced function".
Health Information means:
- information or an opinion about:
- the health or a disability (at any time) of an individual; or
- an individual's expressed wishes about the future provision of health services to him or her; or
- a health service provided or to be provided to an individual;
that is also Personal Information; or
- other Personal Information collected to provide or in providing a health service; or
- other Personal Information about an individual collected in connection with the donation; or intended donation by the individual of his or her body parts or body substances.
Primary Purpose is the dominant or fundamental reason for information being collected in a particular transaction.
Reasonable Expectation means a reasonable individual's expectation that their Personal Information might be Used or Disclosed for a particular purpose.
Related Body Corporate means that where a body corporate is:
- a holding company of another body corporate;
- a subsidiary of another body corporate; or
- a subsidiary of a holding company of another body corporate, the first mentioned body corporate and the other body corporate are deemed to be related to each other.
Sensitive Information means:
- information or an opinion about an individual's:
- racial or ethnic origin; or
- political opinions; or
- membership of a political association; or
- religious beliefs or affiliations; or
- philosophical beliefs; or
- membership of a professional or trade association; or
- membership of a trade union; or
- sexual preferences or practices; or
- criminal record; that is also Personal Information or
- Health Information about an individual.
Use means the handling of Personal Information within Brightstar.
Please call us at 02 8784 2558 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are available between Monday to Friday 9am – 5pm AEST to answer any questions you might have.